Even as someone who doesn’t eat meat, I can never get enough of burgers! And I know the majority of you will scoff when I say that and say that a veggie burger is NOTHING compared to a real burger. Well guess what – I haven’t had a real burger in almost a DECADE, so ignorance is bliss. And i adore my veggie burgers. But this time I wanted to try something a little different, and when I saw these giant portobello mushrooms staring me in the face at the farmers market, I knew it was time. Pair this mushroom burger with a homemade bun (yes I know how to bake bread!), and some delicious pesto sauce (unfortunately not homemade), and it was a dream come true. This ‘burger’ was so delicious and savoury that i’m sad I didn’t make it before. So for those of you who are not opposed to meatless burgers, then continue on reading for this amazing recipe.
1 portobello mushroom
1 tbsp pesto sauce
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 red pepper
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is heating up, chop off the stem of the mushroom and scrape off the gills on the underside. (You don’t HAVE to do this – personal preference)
2. Brush the mushroom cap with olive oil on both the top and the bottom and season with salt and pepper
3. Chop up some red peppers so they are in thin slices and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place the cap and the red peppers in the oven gill side up for 7 minutes. After 10 minutes, take it out, flip it and repeat for another 7 minutes.
4. While the pepper and mushroom are roasting, grab a small bowl and mix together your pesto and mayonnaise
5. Cut your bun in half, lay the cheese on one slice and stick in the oven for a couple of minutes to warm up the bun.
6. Spread the pesto mayo on one side of the bun, and on the other half add the mushroom and red peppers.