- Prep Time : 30 min
- Cook Time : 50 min
- 1 eggplant, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance® Original Natural Buttery Spread
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegan Italian sausage, crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance® Organic Original Soymilk
- 2 cups arugula, roughly chopped
1. Prepare eggplant slices by placing them into a colander. Sprinkle generously with salt and let sit for 20 minutes (this removes excess water).2. Meanwhile, melt Earth Balance® Original Natural Buttery Spread in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, until translucent (or about 5 minutes). Crumble in the sausage, stir and reduce heat to low. Pour in the tomato sauce and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
4. While the sauce is simmering, rinse the eggplant and pat dry. Prepare the milk mixture and breadcrumbs by mixing together breadcrumbs, oregano, pepper, flax seeds and nutritional yeast. Place into a shallow bowl. Pour the soy milk into a separate shallow bowl.
5. Dip eggplant in the milk, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with all of the eggplant and place evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven.
6. Turn off the heat for the sauce. Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 9″x 13″ baking dish. Place half of the eggplant on top evenly, then layer in the arugula and another 1/3 of the sauce. Sprinkle in half of the remaining breadcrumbs. Layer in the remaining eggplant, remaining sauce and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.