- 3 uncooked sweet Italian sausages, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 8-ounce package white mushrooms or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes + ½ cup of the juice in the can
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup cream
- 2 9-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini
- fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- couple tablespoons fresh basil or ½ teaspoon dried basil (fresh is better)
- Heat a few swigs of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and mushrooms and cook until both ingredients are cooked through.
- Add garlic to the pan and stir to distribute.
- Using your hands, break up the whole tomatoes into bite-sized pieces straight into the skillet, sort of mushing it all up. Add the ½ cup reserved juice, salt, pepper, sugar, basil (if using dried) and stir well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions and drain.
- Add cream and basil (if using fresh) to tomato sauce-mushroom-sausage mixture. Stir to combine completely.
- Pour sauce over tortellini, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and eat!