Ingredients: Makes a 12 inch flatbread
1/2 cup warm water
2 tsp sugar/maple syrup
2 tsp active yeast
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp white wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried herbs like thyme or rosemary or 1 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs
1 Tbsp olive oil
a generous pinch of salt
1 to 2 tsp za’atar spice blend
hot sauce (optional)
1. Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Let it sit until frothy. 2 minutes.
2. Combine the flour, salt, herbs in another bowl. Whisk to mix well. Add the yeast mixture. Add in the oil and mix and knead to form a soft dough. 2 to 3 minutes. (If you use a different flour, you might need less or more flour)
3. Roll the dough out into a 12 to 13 inch oval using flour. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Spray water on it. Let the dough sit in a warm place (near the oven) for 15 minutes (30 minutes for a good rise and softer result).
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
5. Place tomato slices on the dough. Spray or brush olive oil. Sprinkle salt and za’atar spice blend. Bake for 17 to 18 minutes or until the edges are golden. Sprinkle more za’atar and hot sauce, slice and serve with hummus or as a side.
This is all whole grain bread. If you are not keen on strong grain flavor or the somewhat dense texture, use half unbleached white flour (all purpose) and half wheat.